Experts Decry Heightened Insecurity In Abuja

Security Expert, Bulama Bukarti says Abuja is becoming one of the scariest Cities in the world with kidnapping,one chance robbers and other criminals ubiquitous in Nigeria’s political Capital wreaking havoc on innocent citizens.

Bukarti ,on Channels Television’s politics Today last Monday, said ” Abuja is becoming one of the scariest Federal Capital Cities in the world”

The atrocity travels the abduction of six siblings and their father in the Bwari Area Council of Abuja recently,

The kidnappers reportedly killed one of the sisters identified as Nabeehah after their parents were not able to meet the deadline for the ransom of N60 million.

He went further to say that ,what is going on in Abuja recently is a reflection of what has been happening across Nigeria.

See also  Eid-El-Fitr: Gov Otti Felicitates Muslim Community, Pledges Inclusivity & Support

“Over 9,700 people were killed last year in 2023 across Nigerians. Abuja cannot be immune to that because as long as you leave insecurity to fester and flourish across Nigeria, then, it will find its way to Abuja,” he said.

Bartti further said intelligence had shown that violent terrorist groups from the North-East, North-West and North-Central geopolitical zones had moved into Abuja while some operate from border states such as Kogi, Kaduna, Niger and Nasarawa;

“Over 200 people were either killed or abducted in Abuja in the last three months of 2023,” the expert said, noting that the ugly trend will drive away investors and discourage diplomats from living in the nation’s capital while Nigeria’s security rating in the world will be badly affected.

See also  Stop Hitting Up Rivers Polity, Okah tells Wike

Bukarti urged security agencies to take “sustained security action” in Abuja and in other parts of the country.

“The way to secure Abuja is to take the fight to the bandits and terrorists in other parts of the country,” he advised.

Similarly , National Ambassador gathered that Kidnappers kill 3 of 10 victims in Abuja, raise ransom to N700m

The kidnappers, who abducted 10 persons from an estate, Sagwari Layout, Dutse, on January 7, yesterday, reportedly killed three of their victims to send a strong warning to their relatives negotiating ransom payment.

It was also gathered that the bandits had increased their ransom demand from the initial N60 million per person to N100 million, now totalling N700 million.

Residents said the victims were allegedly killed over the ‘delay’ in raising the ransom demanded by the kidnappers.

See also  Akwa Ibom Gov Eno Approves N1.5bn Interest Free Loan Scheme For Traders

It was also reported, that a 13-year-old high school student, identified as Folorunsho Ariyo, was among those killed.

By Sophina Ovuike, Abuja