Abia 2027: Umunneochi Monarchs Back Otti, Cite Security Gains

 

The Umunneochi Traditional Rulers Council has endorsed Abia State Governor, Dr Alex Otti, for a second term in office and adopted him as its sole candidate for the 2027 governorship election in the state.

 

The royal fathers made the declaration on Friday during a courtesy visit to the Governor in his office at Nvosi, Isiala Ngwa South Local Government Area.

 

Speaking on behalf of the delegation, the Chairman of the Umunneochi Traditional Rulers Council, Eze Franklin Ohanaezim, alongside Eze Okechukwu Chukwudi and other monarchs, commended Governor Otti for what they described as his exceptional leadership and transformative achievements, particularly in restoring security and peace in Umunneochi Local Government Area.

 

The traditional rulers recalled the period of heightened insecurity and widespread kidnapping that once engulfed Umunneochi before the emergence of the current administration, noting that residents endured severe hardship and lived in constant fear.

According to them, Umunneochi was among the first local government areas to benefit from Governor Otti’s intervention, and lauded his swift and decisive response to the security crisis immediately after assuming office.

 

The monarchs further described the Governor as a leader divinely positioned to restore the lost glory of Abia State, stating that their visit was not only to express appreciation for his efforts but also to offer prayers for the continued success of his administration.

They assured him of their commitment to mobilising support for his re-election and declared that he would not need to campaign in Umunneochi ahead of the 2027 elections.

 

Eze Chukwudi, who said he played an active role in community security efforts during the height of the crisis, recounted the challenges faced by residents and security agencies at the time.

See also  Anyaso Celebrates Mothers, Pays Tribute to Wife on Mother’s Day

He said: “We in Umunneochi are the first beneficiaries of this administration’s good governance. Even before you were officially sworn in, you had already started addressing security challenges in our area.

 

We went through hell in Umunneochi during the height of insecurity and kidnapping. Our people lived in fear, security agencies were overwhelmed, and even the police checkpoints had to be abandoned because criminals could attack and kill officers.

 

But today, peace has returned, and people can move freely again because of the decisive actions of Governor Alex Otti”.

Responding, Governor Otti thanked the traditional rulers for their support and goodwill, stating that his administration assumed office with a clear vision and strategic plan to address the challenges confronting the state.

 

He said: “We came with a clear vision. We were very clear in our minds. The development of our State could not have happened with the level of insecurity we had at that time.

 

“And that was why shortly after we were sworn in, we swung into action to recover parts of Umunneochi and Isuikwuato.

 

“Some of those parts had been taken over by hoodlums and bandits. And we also deployed technology as much as we had at that time because it was early days.

 

“The rudimentary technology we had at that time pointed to a few flashpoints. So we set up Operation Crush, funded it very well, and also selected the personnel.

 

“Those who couldn’t do the battle, we gave them clear mandates. And in no distant time, we managed to restore sanity in Umunneochi, particularly”.

 

See also  Rivers Govt Reaffirms Commitment to Quality Education, Human Capital Development

The Governor also recalled that his efforts to tackle insecurity in the area were initially misconstrued by some individuals who allegedly attempted to introduce ethnic sentiments into the issue.

 

“There were areas that were ‘no-go’ areas. Some people who wanted to manipulate the process wanted to make it an ethnic affair, up to the point of going to report me to the Sultan of Sokoto.

 

“They didn’t know that the Sultan had been my friend for over 20 years. They went to the Sultan and told him that I’m tribalistic. The Sultan told them that he knows me like his son and that I am not tribalistic.

 

“So they eventually came here. After our meeting, I showed them that it was not an ethnic war. It was about restoring sanity, law and order in Umunneochi”, he said.

 

Governor Otti expressed appreciation to the people of Umunneochi for their support, noting that their cooperation significantly contributed to the success of the administration’s security efforts in the area.

 

He also urged political leaders in Umunneochi to work closely with traditional institutions in order to sustain peace, stability and development in the local government area.

Among dignitaries present during the visit were the member representing Umunneochi State Constituency, Hon. Mathias Umeh; Commissioner for Lands and Housing, Mr Chaka Chukwumerije; Mayor of Umunneochi Local Government Area, Hon. Sunday Aforuobi; Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Mr Dodoh Okafor, and other government officials.